Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Weekend Writing Warriors July 24, 2016








Hello fellow Warriors (and Snippeteers)! :-) 

Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly bloghop.  Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com, then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, on their own blog to go live before 9:00 AM Sunday EST. (We check signups and remove links when we don't find a wewriwa post-- to save our participants from clicking on empty links--so please have it live by 9:00 Sunday morning--eastern USA) Then we visit each other and read, comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good.
              Snippet Sunday group from facebook--not us, but many of our participants do both, can be found I'm doing a change-up today. Moving a bit forward in the book. The male MC is about to be introduced in a vague way. HERE



Theusand twisted his hair into a knot at the nape of his neck then slid on loose black pants and a hooded robe. His wardrobe served the purpose it was designed for; towering above most, the hood hid much of his face in a dark shadow. It wasn’t often someone had the nerve--or the stupidity--to look into the darkness to see his eyes—to tempt the devil, some said. In spite of that opinion, he was no devil, at least not any more than he could help but be.
He was ready to kneel when he felt it: A wash full of fear.  Without hesitation, he was on the hunt. The emotional deluge gained strength as he descended into the heart of the ship. Covering the first three floors without stopping, he ruled out a source in the command areas, the private quarters,  bunk areas, dining and other social areas. All that was left were the two floors containing the contractors' quarters, slave cells, and the supply holds.

Hmmm??? And we know who is in a slave cell. Could she be calling for help without knowing it?? 
That's it. What works? What doesn't?  I appreciate your comments and learn from them. :-)

One quick note. I'm participating in my first ever facebook book bash. It has been surprisingly fun.  Thought I'd be nervous and hang back and watch, but it's been easy to gab in the comments. Victory Tales Press & PbRJV are the publishers behind it. Our own Weekend Warrior, Karen Michelle Nutt is the acquisition editor for them.  I'm the host this Friday evening starting at 8:00 PM EST. I'm going to give away some fancy braided bookmarks and a signed print copy of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Romance' during my stint. Might be more items.  And there is an ongoing contest to give away a snake chain with two Murano glass charms. All you have to do is a leave a comment about your favorite Christmas cookies. Contest. And there is this Contest  .  All of my contests end midnight, July 30th, and winners chosen Sunday, July 31st. There are lots of ebooks being given away in contests--Karen has some fun contests going on, and there's also a "name that movie" contest.  Come and check out all of the great authors at this event. :-)

31 comments:

  1. I don't know where the story is headed, except that their meeting won't be a 'meet-cute'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how poetic the language in the first paragraph is. Theusand seems like a brooding, complex character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting turn of events. He seems dark but not evil. Maybe things aren't as hopeless as they seemed to be...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theusand, I love the name! And there's something about him that attracts me. Great snippet, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing introduction to Thousand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I want to know more about Theusand! I love how dark yet caring you've portrayed him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great snippet, Teresa! You're always able to conjure up such terrific atmosphere and tension!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You painted an exciting picture here. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've really set up quite the meeting here! Great snippet as always.

    ~Joyce Scarbrough

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this sounds like an intriguing character! And he's slowly working his way toward her, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Love the way you wove an air of mystery and menace around him. Can't wait to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is leading to an interesting encounter. I love the way you described him and want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm fascinated by thee hero already and I love the idea he may be receiving her emotions. Minor nit: if it's a ship (even a spaceship) we don't have floors, we have decks. Best wishes on the FB event!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A powerful image for Theusand, full of mystery. Intriguing snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh...I can't wait to find out what happens when these two meet up!! Glad you're having fun with the FB event!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You captured the sense of fear and mystery well! I felt as if I was with Theusand as he descended down into the ship. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. He intrigues me. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the description of him - very vivid!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cool that he can sense emotions. Great snippet, Teresa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait for him to free our heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely passage --- I love the bit with the hood and the devil and whatnot. Even without any context, I have a pretty good sense of character. Nicely done! Very curious about what's going on :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would want to know what was under the hood. I'd probably also die pretty soon, but, you know. :)
    He seems like he could be useful. Scary can be useful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm intrigued with this complex character. Can't wait to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting. He can sense emotion. I can't wait to see what happens once he finds her.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Intriguing snippet today. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooooh. Now this is getting interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hmmm... not sure what he's on the trail of, but he's focused. Good luck in your FB bash Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think he might take pity on her and help her escape, he seems a bit dangerous but I guess that's still better than to stay in her slave cell.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The wording surrounding Theusand's height and hood is a bit confusing. I love the idea that he can hunt down fear. Does that work with all emotions, or only certain ones....you've definitely presented some interesting possibilities.

    And, by happy coincidence, tomorrow is my birthday. Might have to pop by to celebrate - after I see Star Trek; Beyond, that is. =)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great description, the phrase a wash full of fear is filled with lots of tension. Like how he senses the emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh such mystery and dark intrigue. This caught my attention. I wonder what he's up to and just what he does. I want to know so much about him! Love the descriptions!

    ReplyDelete