Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Weekend Writing Warriors July 3, 2016


Hello all my fellow Warriors (and Snippeteers)! :-)  If you are in the USA, happy Independence Day weekend. If you are somewhere else in the world...happy 4th of July weekend. :-)
Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly bloghop.  Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com, then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, on their own blog to go live before 9:00 AM Sunday EST. (We check signups and remove links when we don't find a wewriwa post-- to save our participants from clicking on empty links--so please have it live by 9:00 Sunday morning--eastern USA) Then we visit each other and read, comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good.
              Snippet Sunday group from facebook--not us, but many of our participants do both, can be found HERE



Setup:  Earth has been invaded by aliens, galactic slavers. Our MC, Lily, and her dog, Jobe, were captured.  Moving ahead a little in the story: They were loaded onto a shuttle and their captors have just hauled them off the surface into space.  They were transferred to a large holding cell filled with creatures of all sorts, and none seemed friendly until some French speaking Earthlings were thrown into the same cell. It feels like days since they've had anything to eat. Something is happening... 
        
Scraping metal turned to a high screech. Every living thing in the room—with the exception of her and her new companions-- moved, scrambling toward the center of the floor. Jobe barked, but it didn’t sound like he was warning her of a threat.
Bright lights came on, then a panel in the ceiling slid open. Something dumped through the new hole above them, landing in a splattering heap. Lily watched the melee with disbelief.
Her cellmates hit each other and growled while they grabbed slop from the mystery mound. Their hands stuffed the dripping mess into their mouths. She turned to her new companions and motioned toward the pile before she ran to it. She had no idea what she was grabbing, but when she left the frenzy, she had two fists full.

That's it. What works? What doesn't? Even though it's published, I appreciate your comments and learn from them. :-)
 

15 comments:

  1. Oh, what is it? And why didn't her companions go for it? I'd let Jobe sniff it first. Okay, now I'm guessing what it could be, and I'm not sure I want to know. Fabulous snippet! I do want to know. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she has the correct survivor skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, quite the scene. Good thing she scrambled to get some food but...ugh! :) (This is Veronica BTW. My browser seems messed up today!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting and what is the mess? More to follow, I'm sure. It's not filet mignon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, this does not sound appetizing! Hope she and Jobe are hungry enough not to care. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeew, it's like they're slopping the hogs! I hope it tastes better than it sounds! Poor Lily (and Jobe)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. J. Rose took the words right off my computer. Just like slopping hogs. And that does not bode well for the "hogs." I hope she will be all right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feeding time. That's just... dignified. Also, eww!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, sounds delicious... NOT. Gah, I don't want to k ow what they're eating! But I kinda do... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great imagery. What in the world are they eating though. I'm afraid to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two fists full? Great imagery and details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoever has taken them captive is treating them like -- and turning them into -- animals. Shudder.

    BTW, I forgot to add my snippet to the WeWriWa list, but it’s up and eager for readers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa. I'm filled with questions. Is everyone in the containing cell a human? Have they been starved? I like her quick adaptation to the rules. Grab, run, eat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. certainly doesn't sound appetizing, but I guess if you're hungry enough, pretty much anything would be.

    ReplyDelete