Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Weekend Writing Warriors July 9, 2017

Hello fellow Warriors (and Snippeteers)! 


  It's time for snips and bits of amazing tales by talented writers! Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly bloghop. Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com, then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, on their own blog to go live by before 9:00 AM Sunday, EST. (We check signups to remove links when we don't find a wewriwa post--to save our participants from clicking on empty links--so please have it live by 9:00 Sunday morning--eastern USA). Then we visit each other and read, comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good. 
             Snippet Sunday group from facebook--not us, but many of our participants do both, can be found HERE
               
  This week's snippet is from "The Sands of Dhor". Lily, abducted from Earth by alien slavers, is following Theusand--he's a different kind of alien. They've left the section of the ship where he and his Chays (monks) are quartered. It's the first time she's left that deck since Lord Sand rescued her from the slave fight ring in the belly of the ship.  They are having a discussion and the topic has turned to humans and a weakness.
 

Here we go...
"Most humans suffer irreparably when change is thrust at them; it is actually rare for one to thrive when its life's circumstances shift.”
 “Its?" The thought of kicking him right in the shins flashed through her mind; she didn't act on it, though. Somehow it was enough that she knew that he knew that she knew...  
Living with a mind-reader had its inherent curiosities, and this was a shining example. That he-knew-she-knew vicious shit-of-a-circle could repeat itself for eternity.  "Please enlighten me then, since you're such an expert on human beings.  Before you start, let me say that I think you're wrong. For example, children—“ Her mouth continued to move, but no words would come. 

Yeah...living with a mind-reader would present serious challenges.
.
  What works and what doesn't? I'm grateful for every bit of feedback you share.

  A short note about sidebar promos.  :-) Sidebar promos on wewriwa.com spots are available at no cost as a perk of regularly participating in Weekend Writing Warriors. If you're interested, all we need is an email from you that includes the link to the Amazon page of the book you'd like to see on our sidebar. Our email address is: wewriwa at yahoo dot com

20 comments:

  1. He is correct in that many people are set in their ways, although others love change and variety. Surely, in space he would tend to meet the adventurers? Unless most humans he's seen have been cowed slaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living with a mind reader would definitely be strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the concept of a mind reader. That presents so many challenges. It's a darn good thing my husband can't read my mind; and I'm probably better off not knowing what he's thinking, too. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me wonder how many humans he's met in his lifetime. No human would want to become a slave, but has he met them on other circumstances the way he is with Lily? And the mind reading may work to her advantage in the end. Maybe? Always intriguing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lily is special and so smart but I wonder where is her dog? Love this snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good snippet! Perhaps he is unaware humans eventually adapt and their weaknesses become their strengths. She'll think him in circles :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love he bit about her wanting to kick him in the shins - but it was enough that he knew - lol
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Often when I'm out in public I get paranoid that someone can read my thoughts. It's the one absolute privacy we have. To have that taken away would be horrible. Poor Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I concur (re: mind readers). Thanks for participating this week. Love getting snippets from your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, oh. Did he just mess with her ability to speak? Personally I think mind-readers suck. Hope she can turn it to her advantage somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow; your thoughts are a great place to turn to when you need some privacy and time to think to yourself, but I feel like you'd be robbed of that privilege when living with a mind reader. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully she can persuade him he's wrong! Interesting excerpt...

    ReplyDelete
  13. He knew that she knew . . . Kinda like a Who's on First situation. Love it, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. In a way I agree with Theusand, in that she is coping extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mind reading could be handy, but I'd sure had to have one around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That "I know he knows I know" thing would probably drive me nuts! I suspect he's just done something more than read her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought the same thing Caitlin did. It would drive me nuts, too. Good snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Saw your comment on my blog this week - thank you so much :-)

    ReplyDelete