Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Weekend Writing Warriors August 6, 2017

Hello fellow Warriors (and Snippeteers). Welcome to August. Yikes!
  It's time for snips and bits of amazing tales by talented writers! Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly bloghop. Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com, then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, on their own blog to go live by before 9:00 AM Sunday, EST. (We check signups to remove links when we don't find a wewriwa post--to save our participants from clicking on empty links--so please have it live by 9:00 Sunday morning--eastern USA). Then we visit each other and read, comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good. 
             Snippet Sunday group from facebook--not us, but many of our participants do both, can be found HERE
            
This week's snippet is from "The Sands of Dhor". Lily, abducted from Earth by alien slavers, is following Theusand--he's a different kind of alien. They've left the section of the ship where he and his Chays (monks) are quartered. It's the first time she's left that deck since Lord Sand rescued her from the slave fight ring in the belly of the ship.  They are having a discussion and the topic has turned to humans.  The last sentence posted last week was spoken by Lily:
“How can we have an honest conversation when you repeatedly slap me with a mental gag order?”


Continuing from there...

“A mental gag order… Oh, I see.” His smirk came through unhampered. “We would never finish a conversation if I allowed your irrationality to proceed.”
“You know, at home, on Earth, I’m not known as an irrational person. In fact, people respect my logic, my intelligence, and my ability to be calm in the face of the worst storm. Could it be that you are the cause of my newfound irrationality’?”
He did something she’d never witnessed him do, something so human it softened her heart. He laughed out loud. Then he said, “There are worse things I could cause you to do.”


 What works and what doesn't? I'm grateful for every bit of feedback you share.
  Is anyone in the path of eclipse  totality--or driving to see it? :-)
  A short note about sidebar promos.  :-) Sidebar promos on wewriwa.com spots are available at no cost as a perk of regularly participating in Weekend Writing Warriors. If you're interested, all we need is an email from you that includes the link to the Amazon page of the book you'd like to see on our sidebar. Our email address is: wewriwa at yahoo dot com

17 comments:

  1. I love this story and what you brought to us this day makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That laugh and his words make him that much scarier, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great scene. Unexpected and enjoyable, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her intelligent criticism and apparently so does he. Maybe he is reassessing his opinion of humans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so intrigued by him! He laughs and then he, kinda, threatens her. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never tire of her sass. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting relationship between the two of them. I definitely want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see she's finally making some inroads on an actual discussion with this guy. Enjoyed the snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think he took her comment as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That laugh would soften my heart too. At my blog you asked if we were in the path of the eclipse, and we are. We are not far from Greenville.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why he thinks this is funny. Nice scene -- and it does humanize him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I think I'm warming to him - it was the laugh that did it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dialogue in this scene, Teresa! It reveals a lot about both characters. Very nicely written!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, it's not a real conversation if one person keeps making the other shut up. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. She needs to teach him a few lessons on fair play.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a very interesting situation and I think the chemistry works well between the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete