Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, March 23, 2019

Lily's Tale: Weekend Writing Warriors

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors where we share snips and bits of amazing tales by talented authors and writers. Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished (we like it all) on their own blog to go live by 9:00 AM each Sunday. Then we visit each other and read and comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good. 

 

Snippet Sunday group from facebook, not us but many of our participants do both, is HERE

This week's snippet is from my scifi WIP, Dhor'en Sands. Lily, (Abducted from Earth) the MC, is gathered with a group of rebels around a fire and they're telling tales--their respective histories, mostly. She's just been musing about how different Theusand is here among these people.

Last week ended with: That coincided with Leese asking, “Lily, won’t you tell us a story?” .

We pick up from there. Note* Creative punctuation used at times to stay within 8 to 10 sentences max. 
 

A storm of emotions brewed inside of her. What good would it do to speak of Ben and the girls? The barrage of tears would come, and when it did, it would be unstoppable. But not speaking of them felt like a denial of the best part of her entire existence.

 “My family was the reason I got up in the morning. My babies... they were mine to love, oh God, mine to protect.” Leaning forward, she brought her hands up to her face and swiped at unleashed tears. Sobs came, choking wails of grief only a bereft parent knows. Closing her eyes, she held her breath, willing herself to calm. She pictured her girls, and Ben, then managed to whisper, “Ben was my husband, my soulmate.”

Well that's probably not Theusand's favorite tale this evening...
I'm truly grateful for any comment or critique you share. Thanks for visiting!

31 comments:

  1. It may not be something Theusand wants to hear, but I think it is something Lily needs to talk about. Always looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, very painful memories, and painful to talk about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you circled back to these memories, no matter how painful they are for her. We needed the reminder of what she's lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At last, Teresa, I've been waiting for Lily to spill her story and you've grabbed my heart once again. Thank you for this gift, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it! And thanks for visiting, dear friend. Hugs...

      Delete
  5. A very intense moment. And, she has to be so strong to live with that sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her strength will be sorely tested. Thanks for visiting, Aurora!

      Delete
  6. It's good to share with people who have been through similar things. I don't think Theusand has been much comfort to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has but he hasn't. His idea of comfort is rather skewed, involving manipulating her thoughts and, worse, her memories. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. Well she tells it straight from her heart, for sure. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does. Gut wrenching sorrow bleeding out. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. My heart is aching for her. While I don't know for sure, I have a feeling her entire family is gone. How awful for her. I hope Theusand understands her better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...Theusand told her that. :-) Might be a bit of a twist ahead...

      Or a whopper of a twist...

      Delete
  9. The emotion leaps off the page in this excerpt. I can't help but hurt along with her. Great writing, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can feel her agony as she tells this story. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see WeWriWa is still going strong! ☺ Thanks for dropping in at The Den, Teresa. As for your story: Lily's grief is palpable. Heartbreaking snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! :-) I really enjoyed your "Stalking" tale. :-)It is riveting writing!

      Delete
    2. I'm thrilled you liked it! ☺ Thank you so much. It's an on-going series.

      Delete
  12. Oh... dear... I'm not sure if she'll get the whole story out, but I doubt that'll matter. Already telling plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps not. If she could struggle thru it, I think Theusand has a mind to stop it. But...will he? Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. I'm sure it's not his favorite tale but I think she needed to speak about them if only to grieve!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a heart-wrenching moment. How brave she is to confide such a private pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I'm glad you see her as brave. She's up against heart-wrenching stuff. :-)

      Delete
  15. THeusand might not like it but it is the truth and perhaps, he'll empathize with her at some level? Great snippet, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. It's honest, even if it did some make some fermented drink to get it out of her. :-) Empathy? Coming...

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete