Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, April 4, 2020

WeWriWa: EU23

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors.
     I hope you're all practicing safe social-distancing. And I really hope that none of you feel alone in this. We're all in it together...
   Sending out virtual hugs to all of you. <3
     Back to wewriwa.


      If you'd like to participate or read tempting morsels from other authors, please sign up--or check the linky list at: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/
     This snippet is from Emmily, Unbound, an SFR story.  To read a compilation of all snippets posted for this story, click Here: Emmily Unbound, Chapter 1        Emmily, the main character, has lost pretty much everything in the last twelve months: her marriage, her parents, her job, and her house. She and her dog, Murphy, are moving to the mountains of Pennsylvania, into an old, remote, hunting camp her parents willed to her. After arriving at near dark, she saw someone in the woods at the edge of the yard. She's survived the night and had no intruders. After finishing her breakfast while sitting on her front porch steps, she's decided to make a grocery run while the weather is nice. Remember the top of her to-buy list? Louisville Sluggers for protection...
     There could be wonky punctuation to keep within wewriwa guidelines.  
     I've skipped ahead a few paras. We're in the scene that changes everything. Here we go. ;-)  The snippet:
     
    The checkout clerk—there is only one register—asks me where I’m from and says she hasn’t seen me around before. I tell her the short version about my parents having a place over near Wheeler Ridge, but I  don’t mention it’s specifically East Ridge where my cabin is. I add that I’m a writer so she doesn’t feel the need to interrogate me about where I work or what I do. Doesn’t  everyone know that writers are like other artists—a little bit weird and not exactly social butterflies?
     It’s a fair assessment; I like my own company.

     The clerk at the hardware-slash-general store gives me ‘what-the-hell’ eyes when I ask about baseball bats, "The biggest and hardest  you have." 
     He tells me they have none, so I ask him to cut a two-by-four in half.

    Yep. Those are definitely ‘what-the-hell’ eyes. Then again, maybe they're more like ‘this-woman-needs-to-be-watched’ eyes.

    
       That's it for this week. Thanks for visiting! I am truly grateful for comments and suggestions, and for you taking the time to read it.

16 comments:

  1. I love the hardware salesman's reactions to her requests -- they're believable and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fear she's in big trouble after talking to the salesman. Fingers crossed for this dynamic young woman. As for me, my family watches over me and Sadie, my sweet dog stays very close to me.Hugs to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! At least if the salesperson spreads that news around they'll know she's someone not to be trifled with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup - the clerk would think - this one's crazy.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I don't blame the clerk for reacting that way. Slowly back away from the crazy lady...:D Great work, my friend. Stay safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I would definitely not pay this woman a surprise visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like her self awareness and I enjoy her creativity in buying a sawed off 2X4! Enjoying the story, great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can definitely see why the salesman is reacting to the baseball bats. Crazy lady alert! We are definitely not alone in these hard times, though I miss the life before it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In small towns and communities, everyone knows what everyone else is up to anyway. But best for her to feel and be safe, regardless of what others think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Not every woman wants a 2x4. She handled things well at the grocery store. I hope with the 2x4 she'll feel safer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's a sensible woman. The bat would have been better, but the 2x4 is a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea to have a 2x4 sawed in half for a makeshift weapon. Also her evasion about where she's living. Emily's got some cunning going on. I just hope she's savvy enough to survive. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She definitely is not a woman to toy with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can relate to the “bit weird” and “not social butterfly” part :) Uh oh, if she’s not careful, the local deputy may be knocking on her door, thinking she’s up to something.

    Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can definitely relate to her and the clerk too- I mean, if someone asked for a baseball bat I'd give them the weird eye too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love when you mention her seeing that the guy is peacocking !!! Haha loved this snippet very vivid image in my head.

    ReplyDelete