Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, August 1, 2020

WeWriWa:EU39


 

                                                                Happy August!
     Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors. Happy August! Thank you to everyone who left a comment last week. 
     I'm reposting the bit about the relaxed rules in case I've missed anyone:
     In short, the WeWriWa rules have been relaxed. The goal is to maintain ease of finding the weekly snippet, but allowing more promo for published books.  You can check them out here: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/p/the-rules-of-wewriwa.html
      We love our core group, the close-knit community that has evolved here at WeWriWa, the ease and joy of our weekly 'gathering,' but we also recognize that the time authors spend sharing and commenting has to make marketing sense, too. Time is precious.  This change would also eliminate the need for the "wonky punctuation to stay within guidelines" disclaimer.   



      If you'd like to participate or read tempting morsels from other authors, please sign up--or check the linky list at: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/
      Also, check out the Snippet Sunday group on facebook. 
     This snippet is from Emmily, Unbound, an SFR story.  To read a compilation of all snippets posted for this story, click Here: Emmily Unbound, Chapter 1  Emmily, the main character, has lost pretty much everything in the last twelve months: her marriage, her parents, her job, and her house. She and her dog, Murphy, have moved to the mountains of Pennsylvania into an old, remote, hunting camp her parents willed to her. It's her first full day here and after a trip to town to get supplies, she's in the midst of being carjacked--or kidnapped or taken hostage--out in the boonies. One of her kidnappers demanded--help at gunpoint. They've carried a body out of the woods--she thought was a dead body. It ended with:
The others hoist the sides of the camo tarp he's on… and he moans.
        Now, the  snippet: 
             
    
     Oh, thank God. He’s alive. Maybe. Just barely from the look of all that blood. Why did I think he was dead? Cripes. My gun-packing-kidnapper did say his friend needed help, not a funeral.
     How messed up is this moment that I'm reacting this way?

     The crime is changing. Now it’s a mere act of harboring fugitives. Or, could it be aiding and abetting?

        That's the snippet. A few more lines if you're interested. :-)
     
      Either way, I am so going to jail before this is all over.
     Again, I tell this man, Kade, that I’m no doctor. “He needs a doctor and a hospital if he’s been in a car crash.” 
     They ignore me, all their concentration on getting the injured man inside my car.

     I take stock while they lift him. He's not wearing sunglasses like the others. Blood is smeared across his forehead, and there’s a lot of it on the blanket he’s wrapped in. I lean in to close the back of the SUV, and see his eyes as they fly open, wild, startled, with elongated pupils.

     Oh. My. Gawd. Animal eyes.


        Yikes!  Thanks so much for reading, and if you left a comment, I'll throw in a virtual hug. 

29 comments:

  1. I have a feeling if she gets caught aiding these "people," it won't be jail where they take her. As always, I'm intrigued by this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Yep. Jail will be the least of her worries. lol Thanks, Jessica. :-)

      Delete
  2. And now the sheet hits the fan for real. Great turning point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! She might have a rough night ahead of her. ;-) Thanks, Ed!

      Delete
  3. If she doesn't already think she's going mad, that should tip her over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times like this, I'd think a person would want to be one of those people who pass out. Avoidance can be such a blessing. lol Thanks, Ian!

      Delete
  4. Is it sad that I'm most worried about all that blood getting on the car's upholstery? Lol, this is a great scene, my friend. Love all the thoughts running through her mind. And what a way to end it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolol! No. It's not bad, Jules. As I was writing it--with the images running through my mind, I kept seeing that blood-soaked blanket dripping on her upholstery. Too funny!

      Delete
  5. Whoa! Now that's a surprise! As if she's not already freaked out enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. :-) WOnder if she'll find a way to explain that to herself, too. :-) Thanks, Nancy
      !

      Delete
  6. Charmaine Gordon says:The scene grabed me and never got lost. Teresa, you are a wonder. I've learned a lot from you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love and big hugs, Charmaine. <3 I have learned much from you, too, my friend.

      Delete
  7. She's staying remarkably calm so far, but I wonder if the eyes thing will make her lose her cool? And how will her new friends react to that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's vacillating between hysteria, shock, and desperately trying to form rational thoughts. She's being tried to the ends of her last, shredding nerve. Thanks, E.D.

      Delete
  8. Fun surprise in that last line. Now she must be sure they are really atrange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. But she's still trying to rationalize it all into some kind of normal. lol Thanks, Aurora!

      Delete
  9. Just when things can't any weirder...great twist, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexis! We're about done with BIG surprises. Emmily just trying to function is on the horizon. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Well, this just gets more and more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just one more oddity in what's going on that she'll have to try to explain away to herself. Enjoyed the snippet but she certainly is stubborn in clinging to her idea of what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got her pegged. She does try to find some excuse for everything. She's so cynical, so unwilling to accept the bizarre or things outside of the norm. Thanks, Jean!

      Delete
  12. I'm so intrigued. I want to know more about the injured animal-eyed man...alien.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The suspense in this chapter is killing me! I want to know how she's going to process this bit of information--can she explain it away? Will this finally help her realize this situation is much graver and stranger than she thinks? Can't wait for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so stinkin' happy to read your words! I hope that readers will feel the same way when reading the entire book. My daughter (tough critic--English BS with a concentration in Women's Literature) told me that I've written a page-turner.

    I freely admit I've reached the stage of terror-- being so close to having it (self)published.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This chapter has been a roller-coaster Teresa! I never know what's going to happen next. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brittany!! :-) Your comment made my day. :-)

      Delete
  16. From last week's snippet, glad he's not dead. But animal eyes... just a bit creepy. Hopefully they are just reacting out of fear for their friend.

    ReplyDelete