Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, July 9, 2022

Weekend Writing Warriors: Across the Night Sky 23

 

 

Welcome to a weekly post of Weekend Writing Warriors. If you'd like to check it out or give it a try, click here to go to wewriwa.blogspot.com

I'm working on edits for Emmily, Unbound--the book I've been sharing excerpts from for a long time. While I'm doing that, I'm going to share snippets from a WIP entitled Across the Night Sky. 

This is an Alien Abduction Romance.

Marissa, abducted human, 20-something, woke with no idea where she was. After running from the metal box she woke up inside, she finds an open doorway. She stepped through and discovered she wasn't alone. She's with an injured man, Kuylerh. I'm in a new chapter, a couple pages in. Marissa has been injured by one of the predators.

 ~*~


 

There's a scene break to allow a passage of time. We pick up there:

She might have dozed off, or maybe she was lost in a level of consciousness somewhere between waking and sleep when Kylerh nudged her and said, “Dai?” He cocked his head to the side. 

At first, she didn’t know what he was doing, but when he pressed his finger to his lips to shush her question, she realized he was listening. Then she heard what he was listening to. Whistling.

He smiled and went into a spiel of foreign words. Looking away, he raised his chin and gave two long, ascending whistles. The whistled reply echoed his. After a moment, he gave two more whistles. The process repeated until she heard heavy footfalls—the sound of hurried steps. Lights flashed around. Someone was searching, a rescue team maybe? 

A group of men dressed just like him, weapons at the ready, emerged out of the near darkness.  

His rescue.

Surely, they wouldn’t leave the rest of them behind.


Surely, right? That's it for this week. Thanks for visiting. Comments are deeply appreciated. 

11 comments:

  1. Right? I hope so but not necessarily. Depends on why they've come for him - to attack their enemy or run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nancy. One hopes that no-one will be left behind, but rescue may not be their real agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting development, could go so many different ways from here so I'm hooked. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope they really are the rescue and won't leave her behind

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect they are there to rescue him. Will he let them leave her behind is the question I want answered! :) I'm so invested in this story! Can't wait for the next snippet. Tweeted

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think he'll want to leave her behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will she go from the frying pan into the fire? Sure hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will this truly be only a rescue mission. I'm intrigued to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL - surely they wouldn't leave the rest behind - she might be in for a big surprise. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had to guess, I'd bet he's taking her with him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why do I have a feeling that he's going to have to fight with them to take her with him?

    ReplyDelete