Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Weekend Writing Warriors September 24, 2017


   
            A quick mention before my post.  The wewriwa linky list is once again hosting the "First Page Review" blog hop. It runs from the 1st of October through the 31st. There's a linky list to sign on so readers can find your post. The idea is simple--you post your first page or so--up to a thousand words. It's good promo if you've got something published that you'd like to get readers' eyes on. Or, if you share something unpublished, you get some feedback, and find out if readers would turn the page and continue reading.  Sign up here The First Page Review .
On to this week's wewriwa.
            It's time for
snips and bits of amazing tales by talented writers! Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly bloghop. Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com, then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, on their own blog to go live by before 9:00 AM Sunday, EST. (We check signups to remove links when we don't find a wewriwa post--to save our participants from clicking on empty links--so please have it live by 9:00 Sunday morning--eastern USA. Then we visit each other and read, comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good. 

 
            Snippet Sunday group from facebook--not us, but many of our participants do both, can be found HERE
           
This week's snippet is from "The Sands of Dhor".
I've skipped ahead a couple of paras. Lily, abducted from Earth by alien slavers, is following Theusand. He's not a slaver.  He's Dhor'en; they communicate mind to mind. 
            They've left the section of the ship where he and his Chays (monks) are quartered. It's the first time she's left that deck since Lord Sand rescued her from the slave fight ring in the belly of the ship.  Their conversation has become more of a debate and he always wins--by willing her into silence. in Lily's POV.



As usual, she was so wrong and he was so right--and that was the case whether it was true or not. The idea of perspective seemed to escape this very alien man.

“I do comprehend your human concept of perspective.” His thoughts had actually sounded  matter-of-fact.
It's not that she'd forgotten he was almost always in her head; just more and more often she found herself not giving a shit what she thought, or how he felt about it. "So...what? You just never consider it whenever you're stating everything like it's the God's honest truth?"
He stopped walking and leaned down low to look at her. A glint of blue sparkled from beneath his hood. “God is a concept best left for another walk, another talk.” 

Talking God with an alien might be a whole new can of worms...
What works and what doesn't? I'm grateful for every bit of feedback you share.

30 comments:

  1. I love his sense of humor, although I somehow doubt that she's feeling amused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, his humor is a bit weird. She'll get onto it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Here comes the battle of the minds. I'm excited about this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be very unnerving to have every thought read by someone else. It removes all vestiges of privacy. However, her decision not to care what she thought is probably the best one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her decision is, in many ways, liberating. She'll have to develop a new plan though, because staying alive and getting back to her husband will require cunning, not flat out transparency. :-)

      Delete
  4. I wonder if they'll ever be able to find common ground. Intriguing as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! Common ground ahead...sort of. :-)

      Delete
  5. It's fascinating, but I wonder where this scene is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aurora! I'll continue. A familiar face is about to appear--and she isn't going to like it.

      Delete
  6. Ii can't imagine not having a private thought to yourself. I guess the best defense is the one she has, total disregard. If he wants to take offense, so be it. And I'm really wondering about this God conversation to come. Love this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would drive me bat-crap-crazy. She has to accept that she can control only so much. And what she can't, she has to let go of...

      Delete
  7. Intriguing as always. I'm curious if these two will somehow find a way to get along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they will. But a relationship based on dishonesty... ? :-)

      Delete
  8. I have a feeling ANY conversation with this guy could get frustrating fast! Enjoyed the excerpt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could. He's so easy to paint as a villainous person, but he needs to be redeemed...

      Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  9. There's no winning with this guy. I understand why she no longer gives a sh*t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She tries not to care. He's about to drop some seriously bad news on her.

      Thanks for visiting, Andrea!

      Delete
  10. I hate it when someone responds to my phrasing rather than to the point I'm making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theusand would drive you over the edge, then. :-) lol

      Delete
  11. Conversation with this guy is so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my. He's quite something. How is perspective only a human concept, though, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comment, Caitlin. I think his culture deals in absolutes. The truth is the truth, unbiased so it be. Unlike the very human philosophy that truth i affected by perspective--my truth is not the same as yours. :-)

      Delete
  13. Oh this is so intriguing. Without a way to block a telepath from one's mind, I think I'd find it very hard to retain my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her sanity will be challenged more than oonce. :-)

      Delete
  14. Great snippet, Teresa! Full of sharp humor and battling wills. I think they've met their matches in each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Eventually, he will realize that, but she has a long way to go. :-)

      Delete
  15. I'm so intrigued by these two - how does she deal with someone always in her head? Are the conversations with him as fascinating as I imagine them to be? Can't wait for more, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm so glad they intrigue you, Elyzabeth! :-)

      Delete