Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Weekend Writing Warriors June 17, 2018



Happy June! It's time for snips and bits of amazing tales by talented writers! Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly bloghop. Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com, then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, on their own blog to go live by before 9:00 AM Sunday, EST. Then we visit each other and read, comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good. 
             Snippet Sunday group from facebook--not us, but many of our participants do both, can be found HERE
            This week's snippet is from "The Sands of Dhor".  Lily, abducted from Earth by alien slavers, is with Theusand. He's not a slaver, and he's just saved her again from being taken by  Dev Areen--a high-ranking slaver on board the transport ship. Now that it's over, she's realizing a new emotion...
          

Last week's snippet ended with (referring to Theusand):
She had to admit it; it was affection.
Please forgive creative punctuation used to stay within wewriwa guidelines. We continue from there:
 
And why wouldn’t she feel that for him? He was still rescuing her on a near-daily basis.  Then again, give her a gun or a damned Louisville slugger, and she’d save her own life.

At the other end of the hall, they exited through a featureless door, twin to the one they’d entered through before their stroll turned into a terror-inducing confrontation. 
While they climbed the steep, metal-grid  steps returning them to the deck above, Theusand's halting words felt weird, almost apprehensive as they popped into her mind. “Lily, we will go to the meditation room. I want to talk with you... without other ears or minds listening.”

Her legs quivered. Was it climbing stairs after months of not doing so, or was it a response to his wish to talk alone with her? Didn't matter; she had some things she wanted to talk about, too.



That ends the chapter.  All opinions greatly appreciated. :-) Thank you so much for visiting and
for commenting!

20 comments:

  1. Rescuing or not rescuing, the simple fact is that he is treating her with decency in an otherwise hostile situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm anxious to know what they both have to say. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can it be romance in the air? HELP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad she's still got her spunk after all she's been through. Theusand seems like a difficult person to stand up to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what they have to say to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this will no doubt be some conversation! Can't wait for more...great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I love her confidence and desire to take care of herself. I wonder what The Talk is about and if it's something she's going to want to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give her a gun - lol - I love her spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOh, can’t wait for this conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to hear what they're going to say to one another. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's treating her with consideration and respect. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's greatshe hasn't let her spirit be broken - and I can't wait to find out what he wants to say to her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to see what he wants to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see how this Talk goes. I have no idea what he'd want to tell her--for her ears only. That makes me apprehensive. But I want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder where this conversation will lead, but I'm still rooting for her to get something to fight back with! Just to see what would happen...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to know what they are going to talk about. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She's still feisty, even though she's captured. Good. I like her spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julie Evelyn JoyceJune 18, 2018 at 9:57 AM

    Ooh, so much to love about this snippet. Love the bit about the Louisville slugger, and I love, love, love her reaction to the idea of talking alone with him. Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gratitude isn't the same as affection, but it can feel like it. Complicated feeling happening in this snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Caitlin, both are different but can feel similar and make things so much more confusing. It's going to be fun to see what happens next! Also, a little help (Canadian here and not a sports person) is a Louisville slugger a baseball bat or did I misinterpret it?

    ReplyDelete