Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Weekend Writing Warriors June 24, 2018


Happy Summer! It's time for snips and bits of amazing tales by talented writers! Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly bloghop. Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com, then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, on their own blog to go live by 9:00 AM Sunday, EST. Then we visit each other and read, comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good. 
             Snippet Sunday group from facebook--not us, but many of our participants do both, can be found HERE
            This week's snippet is from "The Sands of Dhor".  Lily, abducted from Earth by alien slavers, is with Theusand. He's not a slaver, and he's just told her he wants to talk to her--alone...     
           I've skipped a few paras from last week. They are in the meditation room (she calls it the star room because there are small portals she can see outside through). This scene delivers heart-breaking news to her . (Teauche- Brigard is his home world)
                  She asked him where home was. He has just made a line of sight with his arm and finger.  Lily is looking at a cluster of stars--and she speaks first.
Please forgive creative punctuation used to stay within wewriwa guidelines.
“That’s Earth? When will you return me to my home, to my family?”

He lowered his arm, and his voice was soft when he answered, “Lily, that is Teauche-Brigard.”

“But, where is Earth, my home?”

He slid back his hood and made eye contact with her. While he gently squeezed her shoulders, he returned his gaze out the small window at the black velvet heavens. “Earth is gone.  Destroyed. Your family--your mate and children--are gone; your life there is over. Teauche-Brigard is your new home.”

What??! Next week we'll hear her reaction to this utterly devastating news.  All opinions greatly appreciated. :-) Thank you so much for visiting and for commenting!

31 comments:

  1. That is not good news. Trouble is, although he seems to be honest, I am not sure I believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't fair, said the reader. Also Fibber Magee and Molly.
    Linky is being mean again so I'm sicing you on them.
    Thanks a bunch, best friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear friend. Your link is good to go. :-)

      Delete
  3. Very sad. But is it true? I would have a hard time believing him, even after all she witnessed before she was abducted. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) There are clues in the book leading up to this moment that a reader will catch if they've been paying attention. Something he's done in this scene will cast doubt over the truthfulness of his statement.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. She blames him right along with the invaders, though he's not one of them. He is on the ship that's been contracted to haul (slave) cargo for the invaders.

      Delete
  5. Oh no. I don't imagine her reaction will be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heart breaking. Oh my gosh! Teresa, you have written an extraordinary story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that's bad. I have to admit, with her growing attraction to him in these snippets, I've been wondering what you were going to do about the husband back at home but I didn't see the Earth getting destroyed. And she had a child? (I can't remember.) Not sure readers are going to accept this IF you're writing a romance. Probably won't. If this is hard scifi, then you're probably ok. Unless you have a BIG plot twist coming and the child at least - if there was one and I apologize for not remembering - survived. The other thing, if there is going to be a big plot twist, romance readers may not stick around to see it. Best wishes on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean. :-) It's definitely not sfr. There's no HEA. But is does end on a hopeful uptick. I don't want to say more than that.

      I do get what you say about Romance readers not having it. This might be borderline SF with romantic elements. FYI, there is a BIG plot twist coming. And much of the last part of the book will have the reader privy to information that Lily is unaware of. She has two little girls with her husband. :-)

      Thanks so much for sharing your SFR wisdom. I do appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. I'm going along with the others and refuse to believe this. Maybe he's trying to make it easier for her to move on? And I have to admit, the one I'm still really worried about is the dog! Where'd he go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jobo is okay. There is a child Chay who adores Jobo. They spend a lot of time together. He didn't go away. :-)

      Delete
  9. Okay, I screamed a little while reading this. I hope he is wrong...or lying...or something. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is using any means to achieve his goal. :-)

      Delete
  10. Whoa, that’s devastating news! But I wonder if it’s true? I hope not, for her sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so sure it;'s not true, then starts to doubt... :-)

      Delete
  11. That is devastating, but I think I kind of expected it. I do think Veronica has raised some valid points about what the romance community does and does not usually accept, although sometimes this kind of devastation does happen, it's not often. I'm looking forward to seeing how Lily handles this news as well. And I too am concerned for the dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna. Jobo is okay. He has an adoring friend in a little child Chay. :-)

      Delete
  12. Like others I'm worried about the dog! It's really devastating about her husband and child too of course - not to mention the Earth itself. I can't help sharing Veronica's concerns, but having said that, I'm a romance writer/reader too and I'm absolutely hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Thanks, Hywela. I can't market this as SFR, and certainly not as a HEA. But like I commented to Veronica, this ends o a hopeful uptick.

      I'm so glad you're hooked. I edit a little every night. Life is so busy. Eventually it will get finished. :-)

      Delete
  13. What? How? Hopefully there is more to this than meets the eye. Also I don't know if I still like him if he's lying about something this cruel. Great Snippet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's different. His culture is different. He's not without some saving graces. ;-)

      Delete
  14. Um... What!? If it's true, she's going to have a lot of grieving to do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He doesn't mince words, does it? I guess I'd rather get the news that way. Wham! Then I'd take a long time mulling over what it all means. I can see her stunned, devastated as she realizes the implications. Poor kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not one for mincing words!

      We do torture our characters, huh? :-)

      Delete