Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, February 15, 2020

Wewriwa: EU 16

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors! I am so glad you found your way here, especially given the website issues we're having.
      Domain issues remain.   I really think I've exhausted all avenues. Godaddy still insists this is a Google problem. Google has no real people to talk to, just bots or AI, or something that doesn't care that I've paid for two years. ~sigh~
     That having been said, I do believe that for the foreseeable future, wewriwa.blogspot.com will be our home.  
      We do need to load up our sidebars with all of your incredible books! If you'd like a promo spot on the wewriwa.blogspot blog, please send me an email with your booklinks. I'll grab the cover image from the link. My email is cypherbuss at yahoo dot com.
    Once again, thanks for bearing with us while we sort through this Google/Godaddy/domain issue.
      For the time being, please sign up at--and check the linky list to find other writers and other great snippets: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/
     This snippet is from Emmily, Unbound, an SFR story in first-person-present. 
     There could be wonky punctuation to keep within wewriwa guidelines. Emmily, the main character, has lost pretty much everything in the last twelve months: her marriage, her parents, her job, and her house. She and her dog, Murphy, are moving to an old hunting camp her parents willed to her. It's remote, in the mountains of Pennsylvania. They've just arrived,. She's checked the cabin inside and just finished running the vacuum cleaner. When she was outside to empty the vacuum canister, she saw someone running into the woods. She dashed back inside and checked locks etc. Last week's snippet ended with this:   I inch farther back from the fire to the edge of the darkness, trying to be invisible to anyone snooping through windows. My mind is going in a crazy circle.

   
  The snippet:    

     
     
     The curtains…I release them from their tiebacks, and they hang full coverage. There are no blinds, but a couple of the windows have shutters; I close and latch them. Tomorrow I’ll go into town and get some heavy curtains and blinds.

     The next item I try to check off my list, but I can’t—a weapon of some sort. I’m completely unprepared to defend myself -- I have nothing here. Nothing! Tomorrow, along with other supplies, I’ll get a Louisville Slugger to keep next to the front door. Make that two Sluggers, one for the back door too, and a bear trap for the front porch.
      Bear trap? Ridiculous, Emmily.
     
     Trying to be calm and methodical. At least she recognized that a bear trap was overkill. lol
     That's it for this week. Thanks for visiting! I am truly grateful for comments and suggestions, and for you taking the time to read it. 

38 comments:

  1. I continue to like the rational way she's dealing with her fear -- neither under nor over reacting. Except maybe for the bear trap idea, and even that has its merits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, is it ridiculous, really? ;) Great snippet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Just a wee bit. But it was time for that reality check. :-) Thanks, Fallon!

      Delete
  3. She's trying to be organized amidst the fear. Good for her. One of my heroines used a hoe like a baseball bat to take out an intruder. Good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow--that is a great idea! I keep a slugger handy at home. Never thought about the garden hoe. :-) Thanks, Diane!

      Delete
  4. No knives at all? Though I can't blame her for the baseball bats and bear trap. Hopefully it won't trap Murphy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming up either this week, or next. Thanks, Jessica!

      Delete
  5. She is a marvel working to keep up BUT what happens next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not one to give up, my friend Thanks for visiting! Hugs...

      Delete
  6. Bear trap sounds good. Lots of stopping and holding power and discourages door-to-door pamphlet deliverers. I bet she's not going to get much sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolol! Oh my, too funny, Nancy. Exhaustion will be her friend, soon. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yep. She's a flighty one. Has issues with hysteria. It is explained in the book when it first manifested itself. Thanks, Aurora. :-)

      Delete
  8. But will there be a tomorrow? Bwaahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a dang good question! lol Thanks, Alexis!

      Delete
  9. And thank you for battling the google-borg for us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having once almost stepped in to a bear trap - YIKES! I like the Louisville Slugger. It makes a statement.
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh--I'm glad you avoided it!!!

      Makes my day that you like the Slugger! lol Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Bear spray maybe...I hope she's still in the cabin in the morning to go get all these weapons and supplies...I did enjoy eavesdropping on her thoughts. Great snippet and good luck with Google! Such a crazy hassle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean. Yep--Google is such a huge machine!

      Delete
  12. I can understand her 'overkill in that situation. (Being a mere Brit, I had to look up a 'Louisville Slugger' though! :) This is such a great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyn! I never gave that a thought--about the Slugger not being well-known. :-)

      Delete
  13. Her thought processes remind me something I might go through. I probably wouldn't get the bear trap, though, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that bear trap, huh? lol She knew she was going overboard, then. Thanks, Elaine!

      Delete
  14. I like the way she thinks! Very methodical despite her worry about the intruder. Am loving this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you're enjoying it! Thanks, Jenna! :-)

      Delete
  15. I like she keeps a level head even though she's a little freaked over a possible intruder.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like that she’s being cautious. Something I’d definitely do—take steps to feel safe in my own home. Nice snippet.

    Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yawatta. I think we all strive for that. I'm so glad you could relate to that in her. :-)

      Delete
  17. It makes sense to make sure you have some way to defend yourself. Good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol, perhaps one can never be too careful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Coming from someone who once waited out a power cut & a phone lines down situation during a freak snow-in with a cleaver at her side when it was just me and the little one... I'd say she's handling it all pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, girl! You have a deep well of experience from which to pull, for your writing! :-) Glad you made it through unscathed. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete