Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, July 5, 2020

WeWriWa: EU35

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors. Where did June go?? While I'm asking questions, I'll add, where did the entire first half of this year go??? 
     I'm reposting the bit about the relaxed rules in case I've missed anyone:
     In short, the WeWriWa rules have been relaxed. The goal is to maintain ease of finding the weekly snippet, but allowing more promo for published books.  You can check them out here: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/p/the-rules-of-wewriwa.html
      We love our core group, the close-knit community that has evolved here at WeWriWa, the ease and joy of our weekly 'gathering,' but we also recognize that the time authors spend sharing and commenting has to make marketing sense, too. Time is precious.  This change would also eliminate the need for the "wonky punctuation to stay within guidelines" disclaimer.   



      If you'd like to participate or read tempting morsels from other authors, please sign up--or check the linky list at: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/
      Also, check out the Snippet Sunday group on facebook. 
     This snippet is from Emmily, Unbound, an SFR story.  To read a compilation of all snippets posted for this story, click Here: Emmily Unbound, Chapter 1  Emmily, the main character, has lost pretty much everything in the last twelve months: her marriage, her parents, her job, and her house. She and her dog, Murphy, have moved to the mountains of Pennsylvania into an old, remote, hunting camp her parents willed to her. It's her first full day here and after a trip to town to get supplies, she's in the midst of being carjacked--or kidnapped or taken hostage--out in the boonies. Last week one of her kidnappers  explained that they need help, that there's been a crash. Emmily assumes a 'car' crash. . It ended with:  
  Even if it is a cheap Halloween ray-gun, I’m still alone in the middle of nowhere with strangers who control my immediate future.
        Now, the  snippet:    
       Tears slip out of my eyes and I wipe them away. My nervous reaction to intense moments does this to me: Laughter, tears, accompanied by uncontrollable shaking. And… here it comes.
       His brows pinch together, and he leans his head to one side. I imagine he’s wondering what the hell is wrong with me.

       My inner-voice is already arranging words to answer his unvoiced question, and they sound shamefully doormat-apologetic--that I’m prone to bouts of mild hysteria.  Yeah. What the hell is wrong with me? I bite my tongue, refusing to show how easily I kowtow to demands.

That's the snippet. Here's a few more to round out this thought.
 
       Speechless, I hang onto the side of the car, trembling, trying to gain control of my spinning brain.  For cripes’ sake, Emmily, think!  If Murph and I are going to live through this, I need to get it together.
  
        That's it for this week. It does make a person wonder, huh? A Halloween raygun? Really?? Thanks so much for reading, and if you left a comment, I'll throw in a virtual hug. 

9 comments:

  1. Charmaine Gordon says: Delious snippet, my friend although there could be a bad thing waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she's not going to be laughing shortly. Something else is going on. She'd better be ready. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the feeling he's not going to say whatever it is she's expecting from him. Interesting how she's basically falling apart here. That's quite a reaction! But she's in a very weird situation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her inner struggle is vivid here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I certainly hope she gets through this

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd probably be hysterical too, or paralyzed. Neither is helpful. Wonder what he's going to do with her now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things seem pretty out of the ordinary for her right now. I curious to what the guy is going to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great how you concentrate not just on the external action but on what that action means to her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your description of her distress. I also like how she recognizes it and how (in some cases) it's ridiculous. I find her to be a fascinating character to follow.

    ReplyDelete