Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, July 11, 2020

WeWriWa: EU36


 

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors.Thank you to everyone who left a comment last week.
     I'm reposting the bit about the relaxed rules in case I've missed anyone:
     In short, the WeWriWa rules have been relaxed. The goal is to maintain ease of finding the weekly snippet, but allowing more promo for published books.  You can check them out here: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/p/the-rules-of-wewriwa.html
      We love our core group, the close-knit community that has evolved here at WeWriWa, the ease and joy of our weekly 'gathering,' but we also recognize that the time authors spend sharing and commenting has to make marketing sense, too. Time is precious.  This change would also eliminate the need for the "wonky punctuation to stay within guidelines" disclaimer.   



      If you'd like to participate or read tempting morsels from other authors, please sign up--or check the linky list at: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/
      Also, check out the Snippet Sunday group on facebook. 
     This snippet is from Emmily, Unbound, an SFR story.  To read a compilation of all snippets posted for this story, click Here: Emmily Unbound, Chapter 1  Emmily, the main character, has lost pretty much everything in the last twelve months: her marriage, her parents, her job, and her house. She and her dog, Murphy, have moved to the mountains of Pennsylvania into an old, remote, hunting camp her parents willed to her. It's her first full day here and after a trip to town to get supplies, she's in the midst of being carjacked--or kidnapped or taken hostage--out in the boonies. Last week one of her kidnappers  explained that they need help, that there's been a crash. Emmily assumes a 'car' crash. . It ended with:  
   Speechless, I hang onto the side of the car, trembling while I try to gain control of my spinning brain.  For cripes’ sake, Emmily, think!  If Murph and I are going to live through this, I need to get it together.
        Now, the  snippet:    
      
     There’s movement in the woods again. “Holy shit and what the hell--all rolled into one.”  I swallow the enormous lump that forms in my throat. I will be dead soon if I don’t stop thinking out loud.

     Two more white-haired men are carrying something. Mr. Friendly remains at my side with the plastic ray-gun pointed at me. The other two carjacker-types go back into the woods and help carry whatever it is.
      “Good God above,” I mutter. Is that a body? I try to control my shaking while I look around.

That's the snippet. Here's a few more to round out this thought. 
      
     I really need to escape. Like…really.

     The weapon-wielder must see it on my face, how desperate I am. He leans close, directly in front of me, blocking the view of them coming our way and I can’t avoid him. He says, “I am Kade. I do not want to harm you. My friend needs help. You…have no choice. But your …cooperation will make this…easier.”

     Easier? As if any form of the word easy has a place in what’s going on here.

     I have no choice.
  
        That's it for this week. Thanks so much for reading, and if you left a comment, I'll throw in a virtual hug. 

15 comments:

  1. You've really gotten me wondering how or what they can make her do against her will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! What kind of help are they looking for? Did they pick her because she was the first person to come along, or for some other reason? Intriguing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. This definitely does not seem to be a good situation to be in. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least he's polite! Nice twist. I wasn't expecting aliens! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The creepy guy she encountered earlier is looking so much better to have to deal with now! Thing just got more real--or unreal. When is this book coming out, Teresa? I can't wait! Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting - can they force her to act against her will? What is Murphy doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charmaine Gordon: July 12, 2020 at 12:52 PM
    Oh my gosh, I'm actually frightened with your snippet. HELP! Best always from me to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the classic scifi feel to this part of the story! And of course I'm wondering when she'll figure out the ray gun isn't plastic...great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Her building freak out is very convincing! What is she going to do when the truth hits her? (I've been wondering about how the dog is reacting, too).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is Murphy growling or accepting? If my dog was okay with the strangers, I would be, too. Maybe. Love the way you're portraying her freak out. Very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This just keeps getting worse for her. I mean at least he's polite.. but he is holding a weapon(?) to her head. I'll be demanding some serious answers. Great snippet! I'm a bit scared to see how this ends..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow-whee. I have missed a lot. I had some catching up to do. Great snippets. Definitely don't want to find out if it's real or not, not worth the risk. But, yes, at least they are polite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She has a choice. His way. lol I'm enjoying the snippets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, that is surely an unpleasant fix to be in. I am wondering what they are carrying and guessing it can't be anything pleasant.

    ReplyDelete