Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Weekend writing Warriors February 17, 2013




 Week 3 "Let the Swordplay Begin"


Welcome to another #8sunday post.  This week returning to my WIP, ATNS, and making the selection for today's 8 sentences using the random scrolling method, I've landed fairly early in the story.  Our heroine,  Rissa (in her dream world), has just learned that she must learn how to fight with a sword.  Cuylrh gathered the entire group, the existing Guard members, along with Jia and Rissa, and made the announcement that Rissa would have to first learn how to fight, and then qualify for admission into the Kings' Guard by besting an opponent. At the same time, Rissa's new found friend and ally, Jia, has been offered the same deal, to best an opponent within the Guard to qualify for admission. Jia has fought with swords all of her life, and this is her opportunity to show she's as good as any man-- by becoming a King's Guard in the patriarchal and often misogynistic Rialtan Empire. Dhurstan is Cuylrh's best friend, a he-whoring troublemaker, arrogant, and despises Rissa-- along with Cuylrh's obvious affection for her.


This snippet is in Rissa's POV.






"Senseless and dumb, she looked down at her feet, at her 
sturdy shoes from Earth, from home, from a place with rules where no one lived and died by the sword. She’d only forced  her hiker-clad feet to take two steps through dust and ashes, away from the fire when Jia shouted behind her.   

Rissa turned and stared, still numb from the shock of impending swordplay she now knew she must endure.  Jia’s voice sang with confidence, and commanded with authority when she pulled her sword from its sheath and let loose words into the frighteningly still air, “Dhurstan of Rialt, I challenge you.”

The fight was loud and violent, a prolonged audible assault that lasted until Jia, with a spinning move, flung his sword out of his hand. Her advance was a fluid motion, part ballerina, part warrior as she planted her foot into his stomach sending him sprawling on his back. It all came to a stop where Dhurstan lay disarmed, humiliation painted across his face, with Jia’s  foot pressed against his chest and her sword tip biting at the underside of his chin."

That's it.  What jumps out at you, good or bad. I'd love to hear it.  Thank you so much for visiting!

Visit the other "great eight" posters by clicking  HERE. 

43 comments:

  1. Well done Jia! Does she finish him off? Rissa must be so nervous and I feel for her. Great suspense, Teresa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. Nah, he's a central character, and the main character of the second book in the series. lol--I wish I had known how to write when I wrote them. Rewriting is a tough business. ;-)

      Delete
  2. A visual action sequence, and a very well-written one! Great 8! :) Oh boy, Dhurstan will not take it well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dhurstan is such a rotten person. Dang--he was so much fun to redeem. Thanks, Dana :-)

      Delete
  3. We are women, hear us roar. . .and you wrote a roaring Jia! Super eight, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm liking how this is progressing! I love that Jia challenged Dhurstan himself.

    One little bump for me: and you might've left it out because of the word limit: I'd really like to see some details of Jia's fight. The way it would be described from Rissa's POV would be very enlightening - what does she think about the fight, knowing she has to learn to do that? Can she imagine herself making the same moves?

    What a fun story. You've got obviously different character personalities here and that adds richness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Owly. :-) Lots of food for thought here today. I'm not sure what to make of it-- she does learn how to fight with a sword, and in depth lessons are fed along with the story, to the reader and Rissa. Right now, it is all the unknown to her,. And I probably should convey at least that much. ~sigh~ more rewriting. lol. I've got another WIP going. Yikes. I've got to get it organized. I need to find a life by summer. :-)

      Delete
  5. Mostly I feel for poor Rissa, who is clearly in a no win situation! I also enjoyed the description of the fight. Excellent excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica! Right now she's too numb to be terrified. :-)

      Delete
  6. Teresa, the visuals in this scene are fantastic. It's a beautifully choreographed snippet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice use of detail to paint the scene Teresa, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your descriptions are wonderful--I love "Her advance was a fluid motion, part ballerina, part warrior..." Wow! Totally saw it! One small thing, you might want to watch your "ly" adverbs--try to find verbs that do the job--i.e., "dramatically" and "frighteningly" in one sentence. Actually, that sentence works very well if you just take out "dramatically"--if she's pulling a sword out its sheath as she shouts, it's dramatic--you don't have tell us that. What do you think? Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nan, it makes absolute sense! I really do get blind to my own words, lol. Thanks so much for an excellent observation :-)

      Delete
  9. I agree with nan. You don't need dramatically or frighteningly. Your description is dome very well, you made me see and feel it without those two words. Good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Owllady; I'd really like to see you expand this action. I'm already feeling Rissa's distress, but seeing more of what she's facing (and not at all prepared for) will heighten my concern even more. Besides, you write action scenes so well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advice much appreciated and taken to heart. Owly and you never steer me wrong. :-) Thanks, Monica. :-)

      Delete
  11. Lol @ "random scrolling method"...

    I love how this piece ends. My first thoughts: he's not going to take this very well... No man likes to be humiliated, especially not by a girl...

    Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, yep, you're right, Keeley! Both of our snippets involved that today :-) Thank you :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I should add that I learned the "random scrolling method" from kate Warren (a couple of comments away from you.) :-)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like Dhurstan (love that name!) deserved exactly what he got. Wonder if he'll retaliate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Indeed. Retaliate he does--in spades. But his day will come. :-) Thanks, Sarah :-)

      Delete
  13. Go Jia! He needs to be taken down a peg (or five). Awesome eight, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Jia, lol. Yes, Kate, his day will come. The depths of despair. Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Kick his ass, Jia! What a great snippet. I'd love it if you extended the fight scene a little more, ramp up the energy, but I really liked how Jia took him down. Nicely done, Teresa. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the critting, Siobhan. Noted and will be working on a rewrite this week. :-) lol--and I love how the ladies on these comments are all about "kick his ass!" lol...

      Delete
  15. Great snippet, but I agree with the others that more details about the fight would give it more visual impact for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely language, Teresa. It's a lot of fun, very dynamic. Some show as well as well as tell would make it perfect. Do a Jia and kick that WIP's butt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice, Kylie. Still learning :-) I appreciate all shared wisdom. :-)

      Delete
  17. I personally am not into fight scenes, but I agree this one could use more detail not only of the fight scene itself, but of Rissa's emotions watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's poetically beautiful, but I don't feel that anticipation of something epic getting ready to happen. Honestly, your writing is so beautiful I got lost in the imagery and only after the fact did I realize... hey... where's the tension of the fight?

    Then again this is a snippet, so you could already have it there. :D Still, loved it. I love how you write. :)

    And I totally spaced on uploading my 8 today! Shoot, next week. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed your name yesterday, Marie, but I don't want to people to feel like I'm heckling them to sign up. There were times when I forgot to sign up on the SixSunday site, and I went ahead and did the post, and then I went to the list and visited people. Most made a return visit. I hope you remember next week!

      Thanks for your critting. I have some work to do on it. I swear, rewriting is like dirty dishes--never done ;-)

      Delete
  19. I like the fact that Jia is Rissa's new found friend. You have proved Jia's ability to us, hopefully she will become Rissa's mentor. To someone inexperienced, just the weight of the sword is one thing to manage. Rissa needs a skilled teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol :-) Good point about the weight of the sword. :-)

      Delete
  20. The fight is beautifully fluid, but I must admit I like a blow by blow account for a little bit of a fight. But that's just me. Gorgeous writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna. I reworked it yesterday. Twice as long, but much better.

      Delete
  21. I liked all the emotional details and don't really miss the fight description too much. I usually hate blow-by-blow descriptions and subscribe to the less-is-more philosophy in this are. Enjoyed the snippet.

    ~Joyce Scarbrough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyce! It was good hearing your opinion. When I rewrote it, I discovered that I had a difficult time straying from emotions while infusing action. I guess I'll always be more a character driven writer than a plot driven writer That might not work with fantasy :-)

      Delete