Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Monday, April 27, 2015

Evelyn Jules: Tuesday Two Cents' Worth



Welcome to Tuesday Two Cents' Worth! Today, the very talented Evelyn Jules is shelling out some great writing wisdom. Read on!

Hello, all you writers out there! Teresa was kind enough to invite me to her blog to share some writing wisdom with all of you. You ready? Okay!

If there was one piece of writing advice I could share with others, it would be this: take risks. If you don’t take risks, you won’t make mistakes. If you don’t make mistakes, you won’t learn from them. Sometimes a risk can be something as simple as reaching out for a critique partner to look over your work. I know without a doubt I wouldn’t be where I am without my crit partner and fellow Team Awesome member, Margaret Ethridge. I never write anything without running it past her first, and the same goes for her.

You know that old expression—two heads are better than one? It’s never more true in the world of writing. We can read and re-read our own work until we’re ten seconds away from lighting it on fire and sprinkling the ashes over our morning toast. Or, on the flip side of things, we might think it’s the best. Thing. EVER. No one has ever written anything quite this awesome before, so I’ll just wait till all the big name publishers knock on my door and fight over it. Yeah...no. That only happens in Hollywood. Have a friend look it over! Yes, it’s agonizing having someone criticize your work, but why not make it the best it can possibly be before moving on to the next step? Odds are, you’ve invested a chunk of time and effort into your manuscript, so don’t cut corners at the end.

Last but not least, don’t give up. It’s so easy to throw in the towel. One bad writing week can turn into another and then another. You need to make time for it. Even if it’s only thirty minutes in your day. Even if you only manage to write 100 or 200 words, it’s something. How many words are on a blank page? ZERO. Just write! And remember, you are awesome! :)




Bio: Hailing from the Great White North, Evelyn Jules loves curling up on the couch with a hot toddy and a steamy book. Nothing warms a girl up faster than a little hanky-panky. When she’s not reading deliciously erotic tales, she’s weaving her own in hopes of warming her readers’ hearts and other parts! 


Thanks so much for listening! If you’d like to get to know me better and be friends and stuff, you can find me at the following locations:




And here’s a link to my Amazon page filled with all my published titles: 

http://www.amazon.com/Evelyn-Jules/e/B008QP0PPG/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_

6 comments:

  1. That is so true! No risks, nothing learned. Nothing learned, no development. Great reminders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister! Thanks so much for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much again for hosting me, Teresa! This was a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure's mine, Evelyn. Thank you for sharing wonderful advice!

      Delete