Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, April 27, 2013

A to Z "X"

When I was a kid, it seemed that "X" was the most important letter in the alphabet. It served to handle such monumental tasks as a signature for people who couldn't write--and what a noble purpose!

And we can't forget that crossing one's heart more often than not was a hastily motioned "X" over our chests. And that signified the whole truth and the utmost sincerity.  Few things ranked quite so high in the world of kid-dom as being able to count on the sacred oath given of "cross my heart and hope to die."

And now, to the one use of the letter X that, by the tween years, trumped all others. The note, passed across the classroom  with two letters added at the end. X and O.  Hugs and kisses.

Now, just for curiosity's sake, do you know which is which?   Don't look it up--just guess if you don't know.

And for good measure, a couple pics, the first of the treasure map they  found, and second, of my son and his friends with two dogs in tow,searching for treasure --all in jest and documented to help my daughter do a storyboard for one of her college classes.

Happy X day to all the other participants at the  Blogging from A to Z Challenge !

21 comments:

  1. One time when I was a kid, I went out into the woods on our property and buried a treasure (I can't remember what) for my little sister to find. I made her a map with an X, and she had so much fun traipsing through the woods. I'd forgotten about that. Good memories...

    I enjoyed your post. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dana! I'm so glad it brought back some memories. :-) Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. X marks the spot!! I think X is for hugs and O is for kisses.. I am gonna look it up once I have posted this comment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Nina--you and thought the same thing--just before looking it up. :-) Thanks for visiting. :-)

      Delete
  3. This brings up some childhood memories for me! cross my heart, it's the truth :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you would come up with some very xtra-special words for X. Sure enough you came up with classics we all remember from Kiddom and somehow forget in adultdom.

    Love the pictures. Nothin like kids, dogs and treasure maps for a memory filled Kiddom!

    My Letter'X'...TeXas Our TeXas Quilt
    Sue CollectInTeXasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I'm so happy I brought back memories. :-) Thanks for visiting. :-)

      Delete
  5. I must have had a deprived childhood, I only ever knew about kisses. I only encountered a letter for hugs after I crossed this side of the ocean, so I wonder if it's a North American thing? Anyway, it makes it easy for me to remember that X is for kiss.

    And X marks the spot - I was hoping you'd include that. Who can resist a treasure map?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I don't know if only knowing about kisses qualifies as deprived. :-) I can tell you that I found it extremely interesting that the difference might be a cultural thing!

      A treasure map! Yes indeed. And I just last week came across those pics while looking for another pic. Serendipity. :-)

      Thanks for visiting. :-)

      Delete
  6. When I was a kid I like two thirds of letter X's uses: X for kisses, X for X marks the spot (on our treasure maps and the games at Fairs and Bazaars) I was less fond of letter X when it turned up next to any of my work ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Too funny, Elaine. I was not a fan of the letter X on school work. Never thought about that! :-)

      Delete
  7. X is quite a letter, isn't it? Based on the phrase, "hugs and kisses, x's and o's" I'm thinking x and o are respective here, meaning x is hugs and o is kisses. I'm not positive about this, but it seems to make sense. Happy x day back at you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is quite the letter with an interesting past, M.J. :-)

      You reasoned it out the exact same way that i did, and I was wrong. :-) And I went on to send an email with an X that really should have been an O. Wow, lol. He was wonderful about it, pointing out my error.

      Thanks for visiting! :-)

      Delete
  8. Happy x day to you too. Cross my heart, this was a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. X marks the spot, cross my heart it does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Teresa! I am lagging behind with my A-Z visits- happy to be busy but it does curtail stuff!! Probably should have thought of that before I signed up for it, still love the challenge though. X is a clever letter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a kid anymore, but Q, X and Z are my favorite letters in the alphabet. There's a mystery to them. They're special and imaginative.
    Cool post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had forgotten about X's and O's until they reappeared on Facebook. I'm very glad that they're back. Cute post!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete