Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Weekend Writing Warriors: A Guard For Life...


Week 11: A Guard for life..."
Welcome Eighters! Happy springtime--I hope it feels like springtime where you are. It finally does, here.   Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly blog-hop. Each week, participants sign up HERE at Weekend Writing Warriors, then post 8 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, to go live between 12:00 noon Saturday, and 9:00 AM Sunday EST.  Then we visit each other, read, comment, critique, encourage--all those great things that do a solitary writer's heart good.

Give it a try--we're a pretty nice bunch of people.  :-)

This week, returning to my WIP, ATNS. This takes place about a third of the way through the story.

The setup:  This snippet is from the near the middle of the book.  The reader is getting a glimpse of backstory of how things work in the Rialtan Empire, and how Abraxum came to be Cuylrh's (the young King) guard for life.


The scene started with Cuylrh leaving camp in the middle of the night, and Abraxum followed him. Cuylrh has just hit emotional rock bottom rock bottom over his grandfather's unwillingness to accept Rissa (of Earth) and he's poured out his heart to his old guard. Cuylrh knows it's decision time--leave Rissa behind and break both of their hearts, or hurt his grandfather, but he doubts his ability to withstand the wrath his grandfather will dish out-- if he chooses Rissa.

Cuylrh was raised by his grandparents. His mother  is Damonia and his father is Jaretheda. Daekartha is the High King and grandfather.

I know--confusing introducing two new characters.



Abraxum, the old guard of the group, had been Daekartha’s choice for Cuylrh.  In true Rialtan tradition, when a new King was born-- along with inheriting a world, he'd been given the most trusted guard in his father’s household.



But wise, old Daekartha, not trusting the demon heart of the newborn’s mother and the weakness of the newborn’s father, Jaretheda, had superseded his son’s choice with his own.  Any plans that Damonia may have had to control the direction of Cuylrh’s life had been thwarted by Daekartha's strategic move, appointing Abraxum as the babe’s first guard.  

It had been a world of anger and heartbreak, much like the world was once again.


Abraxum hurt for all involved.  He knew that Daekartha’s involvement had never been motivated by influence or control, but out of love, simple love for the boy.  Many had been the time  the High King proudly announced to all  that Cuylrh was the most beautiful child he had ever seen.  


That's it.  What jumps out at you, good or bad ? I'd love to hear it and am truly grateful for every bit of criticism, opinion, and shared wisdom..  Thank you so much for visiting! 

Note* If you are launching a book, offering one for free promotion, or  have a blogpost you'd like shared, tweet me @Teresa_Willow and I'll retweet it for you. :-)

And... Blogger is not cooperating today. Why oh why is it randomly changing my text size??? 

42 comments:

  1. I hope that blogger cooperates with me today. I still have to write the letter "L". Because of my asthma and then because of my stomach aches ( side effect of the meds) I am not able to keep up.
    I have to train my mind to follow fiction. Because of my age it is easier for me to read facts books than fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Munir, I hope your asthma and stomach pains are soon gone. I'm so sorry for your troubles.

      I went through a time in my life when I read only nonfiction. :-)

      Thanks for visiting. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love it!

    "It had been a world of anger and heartbreak, much like the world was once again."

    That line is killer. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are just never simple, are they? I like the concept of the guard for life - terrific snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to get something from the guard's POV. I get the feeling he's an important character and I think his POV adds an extra layer to the story. Nice choice for an excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is important, Marcia. I think I'm looking at a major rewrite to eliminate deep 3rd, and draw back to omniscient 3rd. I think. lol.
      Thanks for visiting. :-)

      Delete
  5. This is a fascinating story and what a great concept with the "guard for life".

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It had been a world of anger and heartbreak, much like the world was once again." I love this. So melancholy. And I like Abraxum -- tried and true like a faithful old dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he is the best kind of faithful old dog. He can talk--and does. ;-) Thanks, Monica. :-)

      Delete
  7. I like the guard's point of view too. It does add a whole other dimension to the story. Great 8!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. He does add so much to the story. :-)

      Delete
  8. I agree-guard for life. And who wouldn't want one? Your imagination astounds me, Teresa. Wonderful eight.
    Thanks for the tweet and retweet about my new book,
    The Catch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charmaine! I've tucked a few older people in these books that do more than just be furniture, lol. Abraxum is one of them.

      Delete
  9. Good backstory and a nice set-up for any conflict Cuylrh will have with his guard over defying his grandfather and picking Rissa. It sounds like Abraxum might be loyal to grandpa. Well done, Teresa. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Siobhan. Come back next week-- and see which way Abraxum really leans. :-)

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed the set up. But it was also good to hear from the guard's POV. It was a fascinating excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine. Abraxum was a great character to write. :-)

      Delete
  11. I agree, lovely snippet. The "but" at the beginning of the second paragraph confused me. The sentence might make more sense if it was left out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ella. Taking your observation under advisement! :-)

      Delete
  12. This has a wonderful other-worldly feel to it and sets up the story so well. Great snippet!

    ~Joyce Scarbrough

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it. Lot's of great information about the world in just a few sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An interesting set-up here, although slightly confusing with all the names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Paula. It was a confusing snippet, but I think I'm going to continue it. :-)

      Delete
  15. Important to get the back story in and you've told it well, Teresa. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate :-) It;s good to read those words from you!

      Delete
  16. When are you going to release your books??? You've got me so hooked on your fantasy style. Love it. Great 8!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! Oh--this book has such a fundamental flaw. I'm working on it. :-)

      Delete
  17. Love the back story here. It's a great setup to what's to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. It's risky, but sometimes you have to just get it out there. :-)

      Delete
  18. Love this line: It had been a world of anger and heartbreak, much like the world was once again. Great 8! Definitely intrigued. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. It's neat-- which lines grab readers. ;-)

      Delete
  19. I'm like karen. I love that line. Great 8.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think if the king is really motivated by love, he will recognize that love is necessary for his grandson also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Eventually, Carol. He is so bullheaded and arrogant. :-)

      Delete