Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Monday, March 30, 2015

Elena Giorgi: Tuesday Two Cents' Worth

Welcome to Tuesday 2 Cents' Worth, where authors and writers answer one question: If you could share one piece of writing advice with other writers, what would it be?

I'm pleased to introduce you to the talented Elena Giorgi who has kindly agreed to share her two cents today.


Take it away, Elena!

"Lately the one question I'm asked a lot is: should I self-publish? I'm happy that people are asking because up until a few years ago you were immediately deemed unworthy just for posing such a question. But today writers have a choice, and I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I've seen too many writer friends mistreated and intellectually abused by publishers, editors and agents. Of course, that doesn't mean that self-publishing is the perfect alternative. Nothing's perfect and no matter what route writers choose, they have to do a lot of work. The job doesn't end when you write "The End" on the last page of your manuscript. In fact, that's when the job really start. And yes, the first question should be: should I self-publish? And my answer usually is: it depends.
     What kind of writer are you? Are you part of a writing community, do you do a lot of online networking, do you write fast and plan on publishing many books and/or a series? If so, go for self-publishing. It will take longer to build your readership (and start making money) but if you can promise many books to come and are patient with letting that readership grow, you will be rewarded in the end.
     On the other hand, if you are the kind of writer who can produce one book per year, and likely the literary kind, you are probably better off trying the traditional route, unless you have really good networking connections. Of course, I do know writers who've become extremely successful by self-publishing one book only (there are always exceptions, right?), but it's rare.
     No matter what you decide: get on-line and talk to writers from both sides. Set some goals, ask questions, and find out for yourself what works best for you and your career."

 E.E. Giorgi grew up in Tuscany, in a house on a hill that she shared with two dogs, two cats, 5 chickens, and the occasional batches of stick insects, newts and toads her dad would bring home from the lab. Today, E.E. Giorgi is a scientist and an award winning author and photographer. She spends her days analyzing genetic data, her evenings chasing sunsets, and her nights pretending she's somebody else. On her blog, E.E. discusses science for the inquiring mind, especially the kind that sparks fantastic premises and engaging stories. Her debut novel CHIMERAS, a medical mystery, is a 2014 Readers' Favorite International Book Award winner.


 


Links:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/E.E.-Giorgi/e/B00J4900R6
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chimeras/166368693451952
 
Elena, thanks so much for sharing your writing advice!



8 comments:

  1. thanks so much for the opportunity, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Elena. I think you offer some very good advice on publishing choice. And I see why you so often get asked questions about it. A lot of writers are grappling with it right now.

      Delete
  2. Good post! I think another consideration about self publishing (which I do, and love) is how comfortable the person is with handling all the business aspects themselves. But certainly you've set forth the key decision point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, never thought about that, Veronica. Very practical advice. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful food for thought! I like knowing I have this option, and I do see a lot of writers doing both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, Tanya. The stigma fading away is such a great happening. It's only been since 2010 that I've been involved with the online writing community, and sometimes still can't believe how much the publishing landscape has changed.

    It's still a very long climb up for a writer, no matter which route they choose. The destination is the goal, but I'm finding the journey to be incredible, and filled with supportive writers. Sometimes I lose track of what the destination is. Maybe writing really is all about the journey. :-)

    Thanks for visiting and for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice Elena. It's going to be interesting to see exactly what happens with the self-publishing trend over the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess--thanks for visiting. And yes, I agree that it will be interesting to see what comes of self-publishing. :-)

      Delete