Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Saturday, July 25, 2020

WeWriWa: EU38

 

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors.Thank you to everyone who left a comment last week. 
     I'm reposting the bit about the relaxed rules in case I've missed anyone:
     In short, the WeWriWa rules have been relaxed. The goal is to maintain ease of finding the weekly snippet, but allowing more promo for published books.  You can check them out here: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/p/the-rules-of-wewriwa.html
      We love our core group, the close-knit community that has evolved here at WeWriWa, the ease and joy of our weekly 'gathering,' but we also recognize that the time authors spend sharing and commenting has to make marketing sense, too. Time is precious.  This change would also eliminate the need for the "wonky punctuation to stay within guidelines" disclaimer.   


      If you'd like to participate or read tempting morsels from other authors, please sign up--or check the linky list at: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/
      Also, check out the Snippet Sunday group on facebook. 
     This snippet is from Emmily, Unbound, an SFR story.  To read a compilation of all snippets posted for this story, click Here: Emmily Unbound, Chapter 1  Emmily, the main character, has lost pretty much everything in the last twelve months: her marriage, her parents, her job, and her house. She and her dog, Murphy, have moved to the mountains of Pennsylvania into an old, remote, hunting camp her parents willed to her. It's her first full day here and after a trip to town to get supplies, she's in the midst of being carjacked--or kidnapped or taken hostage--out in the boonies. Last week one of her kidnappers  demanded--help at gunpoint. Now they are carrying a body out of the woods.  It ended with:  
     I try to control my breathing, slow breaths, counting. I can’t be charged with a crime, I reason, if I’m being forced at gunpoint.
        Now, the  snippet: 
             
     Yeah, my knees aren’t going to hold me much longer.

     The men carrying the prone form arrive at the car. On closer view, I see that one of them is a woman. I had to look hard, though; hiding behind the same uniform the others wear, she’s one strong-looking lady. Same silky hair, same gorgeous features but hers are smeared with soot and blood. She glances my direction and I know right away I get no points for belonging to the sisterhood.

     Kade tells me to open the back, and when I do, I get close to the body. I look down into a face contorted in pain. He’s so pale. He must have died an awful death that this mask of his demise remains.



        That's the snippet. A few more lines if you're interested. :-)


     Even so, he is…drop-dead handsome. Drop-dead? I guess it fits in a sick sort of way. He was handsome.     
    The lines of his face are angular. Brows arch in perfect form above eyelids fringed with long lashes. His hair, colorless like those surrounding him, is fine and silky, the kind of hair I always wished I had. A single, small braid hangs to the side of his face, and it's full of beads.

     For God’s sake, I’m going into shock. Why else would I… Seriously? I’m checking out the dead guy…

     The others hoist the sides of the camo tarp he's on… and he moans.
       
   

        So, we know that Emmily has an injured person on her hands--not a dead one. Her reaction starting next week. Thanks so much for reading, and if you left a comment, I'll throw in a virtual hug. 

30 comments:

  1. So, he's not dead, but still gorgeous. I'm curious if anything will come of that. ;) But first, she must get him and the female medical treatment if she can. Always looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Something will come of that, but it's a tough courtship. We've just gotten our first glimpse of our hero. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh ... nice twist there at the end. intriguing snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charmaine Gordon July 25,2020 at 10:40 pm Teresa, you have a way of changing the snippet little by little. Weekly, I get a kick out of the way you create your story. Hugs as always, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoy it, my friend! :-) Hugs...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Indeed, we have. He was so much fun to write. :-)

      Delete
  5. drop-dead gorgeous?
    Nice touch with the braid indicating an unusual hairdo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Aurora, I didn't even see how punny that was. I just rewrote that to take full advantage of her "drop-dead" thought. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Well, this is certainly getting interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. The story is a wild ride for quite a bit of the first third of the book. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hah! Somehow I knew he wasn't dead. But dealing covertly with someone badly hurt probably raises more obstacles than a dead body :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, Ian. Major obstacles ahead, the greatest of which is her outright denial of what they are and where they're from. :-)Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad he's not dead, but yeah, that complicates things. I'm sure they're not going to let her drive them to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it would be so easy if she could just drive them to the ER and dump them off. Alas, it's not to be. But it does make for a much better story, right? Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I wonder where they want her to take them with this injured person? She certainly is hyperaware of everything right now, which I think is believable under the circumstances. Terrific snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! She is hyperaware. And at the same time, she's kind of idiotic too. lol That is her character, though. I hope readers think it stays true through the story. Thanks for the visit. :-)

      Delete
  10. Yes, glad he's not dead. It was kinda creepy she was checking out a dead guy... lol. But he's alive so it makes it okay now. Gives you a thought now of 'maybe there's a chance.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Bordering creepy, but she calls herself out on it. lol. Even she realizes something isn't right about it. Thanks for visiting, Jeff!

      Delete
  11. These are aliens, I assume. I wonder what about them will tell her that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's about to manufacture a heavy dose of denial. :-) Thanks for visiting, Ed!

      Delete
  12. Not dead! I was hoping not. lol Loved the snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. So how did he get so badly wounded? Who's after them? Nice snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are really good questions and I'm glad you're asking them! Thanks, Elaine.

      Delete
  14. I'm guessing Not-Dead Guy will be the romantic interest, so of course he's still alive. Great twist at the end of the snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. The hero. :-) Thanks for visiting, E.D. :-)

      Delete
  15. Drop-dead gorgeous--I love it! Emmily's mind seems to work a little bit like mine does. It pops out with the most inappropriate thoughts at times. Fortunately, I'm generally able to stop them from falling out of my mouth! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm glad you can hold those things in, Cie!

      Sometimes those inappropriate thoughts help us to get by. I can't tell you the number of times... Right. This is a public blog. ~sigh~ I have thought a few, too, my friend. lol

      Delete