Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Weekend Writing Warriors January 13, 2019

           Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors


   It's time for snips and bits of amazing tales by talented writers! Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly bloghop. Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com, then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, on their own blog to go live by 9:00 AM Sunday, EST. Then we visit each other and read, comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good. 
             Snippet Sunday group from facebook--not us, but many of our participants do both, can be found HERE
            This week's snippet is from my WIP, "The Sands of Dhor".  Lily, abducted from Earth by alien slavers, is with Theusand--who seems to have rescued her from the slavers. His race can communicate mind to mind.  He is taking her to the "Dominion" he is from. Theusand has been eavesdropping on Lily's conversation and just heard her say that there is no romance between her and Theusand.  Creative punctuation ahead.
  
 
He closed his eyes and inhaled long and deep. Archlynn’s words from years ago when the elder Chay was training him wended through his memories. “If you seek disappointment, stop and listen around a corner from where others speak of you.”  Foul words came to mind:  Damn it. Awe hell. He’d heard each one come out of Lily’s mouth. Right now, either fit how he was feeling.

  That's it for this week.  All opinions greatly appreciated. :-) Thank you so much for visiting and for commenting!

20 comments:

  1. Guess that's what he gets for eavesdropping. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words! It's hard to tell from such narrow glimpses into the story, but I'm curious to understand what it is he actually wants from Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some hard truths for the poor guy. Sometimes it's better not to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised Theusand is interested in romance, but then, we have a lot to learn about his species, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how she's having an impact on him! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. So he's upset that she overheard what he said? That opens up a barrel full of interesting possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe he cares for her and wants her love. Interesting insight into his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shouldn't eavesdrop. I'm curious to know what he had hoped to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It tickled me that he was cursing in English. Doesn't his language have cuss words? LOL I like that he's upset. Makes him more "human." :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. His disappointment speaks volumes!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She has definitely rubbed off on him. And now he must deal with his feelings for her whether she returns them or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great line - If you seek disappointment, stop and listen around a corner from where others speak of you.”
    Tweeted

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought he might have feelings for her. His reaction to what he heard says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, he has feelings for her. Good job revealing that. (BTW, your link didn't work for me. Obviously, I found my way here. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was the 2nd link (at the bottom of the list) that didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, that hit him where it hurts. Guess he has to change her mind!

    ReplyDelete
  17. First, let me say what a great concept this site has. I love what you're doing with it. I don't quite understand procedures. Cutoffs, etc. Where does one leave one's sampling? Or does one? (Or two or three?)

    I am now officially a follower. (By the way it has me commenting as George W, but I'm Jay Squires. I don't know how to get that changed.

    Loved the snippet. You crammed a lot of subtlety of emotion and plot projection in that short paragraph. Methinks he loves her, but we don't know whether their ears or other organs are compatible.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  18. Knowing nothing of what came before this snippet, it still manages to be rather revealing. Theusand's reaction to overhearing Lily's "no romance" comment says a lot about his own feelings. Nice job! (And you provide a verrrrry good reason to avoid eavesdropping. What we don't hear can't hurt us.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah yes, he did know better than to eavesdrop! I hope he remembers he only heard part of the conversation... will be interesting to see what the fallout is. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reading this, I recalled an incident where I was on the other end of this scene. There was a fellow who was a senior when I was a junior or sophomore in high school (it's long enough ago that I don't remember which) and he developed an unwanted crush on me and followed me around like a lost puppy. I lived in a small town and one day I was telling some friends as we walked down the street about my frustration with this guy who just couldn't take a hint. Turned out he was behind us and heard every word. I felt terrible about it, although it did kill his crush on me. He pretty much hated me after that.

    ReplyDelete