Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Weekend Writing Warriors February 3, 2019


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors


   It's time for snips and bits of amazing tales by talented writers! Weekend Writing Warriors is a weekly bloghop. Each week, participants sign up HERE at wewriwa.com, then post 8 to 10 sentences of their work, published or unpublished, on their own blog to go live by 9:00 AM Sunday, EST. Then we visit each other and read, comment, critique, encourage--all those things that do a solitary writer's heart good. 
             Snippet Sunday group from facebook--not us, but many of our participants do both, can be found HERE
            This week's snippet is from my WIP, "The Sands of Dhor".  Lily, abducted from Earth by alien slavers, is with Theusand--who seems to have rescued her from the slavers. His race can communicate mind to mind.  They have stopped on a world while en-route to his Dominion. They're visiting people he knows. She suspects he has some connection to them that he is keeping from her. They live in a cave system to escape detection of slavers. It's evening and their underground village is gathering. Storytime. The Elder Spense is the first to speak. Last week's snippet ended with: "

It was a child’s story, much like a fairy-tale, but no real world could be so beautiful, so peaceful, so full of wonders.
Creative punctuation ahead:

“Our people...” he looked around at the children,” Your people, came from the stars, the  panspora, spread out as the night sky above. They answered the call to a garden where they would be safe, welcome, and living amongst neighbors they would not fear.

“And so they came: The builders, the cooks, the people who worked the land, singers and storytellers, poets and dreamers, those who would lead--and those who would follow." He paused, probably for effect, then added, "And it was good."

“Their journeys were hard but they were accomplished with glad determination. Our people were coming home, and all of its comforts waited for them."


That's it for this week.  All opinions greatly appreciated. :-) Thank you so much for visiting and for commenting!

36 comments:

  1. I suspect there's a big "but" coming -- something that'll shatter this bucolic peace. Know why I think this? Because you're a writer, and writers cause trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has kept me smiling all week. I love it--and will likely quote you from time to time. Thanks, Ed!

      Delete
  2. That's a really beautiful origin story, though I also suspect it's about to take a darker turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh huh. A very dark turn. Thanks Carrie-Anne. :-)

      Delete
  3. Yeah, nothing is that good. At least for long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fairy tale. Yet, they are hiding from the slavers. I'm curious as to what happened. Intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and yes. The explanation is coming up soon in the story. :-) Thanks, Jessica!

      Delete
  5. I'm waiting for the big ships to descend. But where is Lord Sand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big ships are key. Lord Sand aka Theusand is sitting next to Lily, listening to the tales. Thanks, Aurora!

      Delete
  6. So interesting with his conversation. I sense romance in a difficult way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there is, and it is in a difficult way. Can't fool you, my friend! :-)

      Delete
  7. I can hear the next word this person is going to utter "BUT"...there must be a catch if they're now living in caves etc. An engrossing part of this overall story for sure. I really enjoyed the snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love the dialogue here! So vivid and visual. Great work, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely vision, but I'm also waiting for the "and now we're hiding in caves" explanation. Great story stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh oh... In the beginning, all was perfect... then came the snake...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like others, I'm waiting for the great big "but"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great visual and I am expecting a "but"...
    Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After all this lovely description, why do I get the feeling there's a very familiar snake in this "Garden of Eden?" Hmmm? :) Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) You caught the allusions.

      The snake is about to come from afar. The big deal is who turns out to be the head of the snake.

      Thanks Jenna!

      Delete
  14. Your snippets always make me want to read more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why do I worry this story won't have a happy ending?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! A bit too good to last. Thanks for visiting, Christina!

      Delete
  16. That whole story is rather poetic. Alas, I bet something bad will probably happen to spoil it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine. :-) Where would our stories be without twists and turns...

      Delete
  17. ...And then the hammer came down.

    Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm enjoying the mythology. I curious to know how the story ends. I'm assuming not so well.

    ReplyDelete