Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Wewriwa: EU14

Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors! I am so glad you found your way here, especially given the website issues we're having.
      Domain issues remain. It is now paid for two years. The payment was withdrawn from my account. Still, the domain is listed as expired. Godaddy, who the domain was purchased from, says it is a Google issue. There is no live person to talk to at Google. Everything is automated--and quite indifferent to the problem. 
     I'm not sure where to go from here.
      Thanks for bearing with us while we sort through this Google/Godaddy/domain issue.
      For the time being, please sign up at--and check the linky list to find other writers and other great snippets: http://wewriwa.blogspot.com/
     This snippet is from Emmily, Unbound, an SFR story in first-person-present. 
     There could be wonky punctuation to keep within wewriwa guidelines. Emmily, the main character, has lost pretty much everything in the last twelve months: her marriage, her parents, her job, and her house. She and her dog, Murphy, are moving to an old hunting camp her parents willed to her. It's remote, in the mountains of Pennsylvania. They've just arrived,. She's checked the cabin inside and just finished running the vacuum cleaner. She's heading outside to empty the canister. I'm skipping a couple of paras.  

       
    
The snippet:
     
    
     I think I've managed to find most of the cobwebs and spiders with the vacuum hose. Before I step outside, I turn on the porchlight and look around. As I gaze into the black woods, it occurs to me that I’ve never been up here all alone before now.

     On the top step, I gaze heavenward and wonder if mom and dad can see me, if they know I’m here at the cabin. I lose myself in the sheer depth and breadth of a starlit vista I could never see from the city. These are my childhood stars, and my teenage stars, even college stars; they’ve always spoken to me—or at least tried to.

      I get to the bottom step, ready to head across the driveway to empty the canister, and there's motion at the edge of the woods. It's at the far end of where the dim porchlight reaches. I’ve either seen somebody moving away from the clearing into the trees, or sasquatch has long blond hair. I spin around and race back inside.
     
     Uh oh...
     That's it for this week. Thanks for visiting! I am truly grateful for comments and suggestions, and for you taking the time to read it. 

28 comments:

  1. And the plot thickens quite nicely, stirred by a ... something ... with long blond hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that could be disturbing.

    I woke up at 5 am this morning and went "I never linked my post yesterday". Oops. But, it is here: https://fallonbrown.com/2020/02/01/wewriwa-our-way-back/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, Teresa, you have captured me. I loved every word as you opened up a whole new world. Hugs always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! You have an art for capturing a moment and making it shine!! Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh oh! I wonder who or what that was. At first I was worried about the cobwebs that still may be lingering. Now, they really don't matter. I'm so intrigued by this story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! Nope. Cobwebs matter little for now. :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow - good build of tension. But, blond hair seems friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aurora! I'll work hard to take away that hair-color association. lol

      Delete
  7. Loved the little foreshadowing with the stars, and then wham! Trouble afoot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's quite different being somewhere all alone compared to being with company!

    And I checked the whois entry for wewriwa, and the domain is shown as updated on Friday, now expiring Jan 19 2021. So the domain itself has been renewed with the registrar, the issue must be with Godaddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is. I remember the first time, might have been the only time, actually, that I traveled all alone. Completely different.

      Thanks, Ian. Could not get the issue worked out with the domain. My twenty bucks is down the drain. No way to get their attention but to deal with bots. :-(

      Thanks for checking on it. And thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. Uh oh indeed! My adrenaline is rising now too, along with your heroine's...great snippet! I was enjoying the stars with her and then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought about how that passage about the stars would lull readers...

      Thanks, Jean! :-)

      Delete
  10. Uh oh. What did she see? Was it the wind moving the bushes or someone??? Exciting and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you insert the tension in this snippet,after lulling us into starry calm! :) By the way, the wewriwa sit worked fine for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hywela. Still working on revisions...

      This domain thing is a humdinger of a problem!

      Thanks, for visiting!

      Delete
  12. I'd be terrified. I like the way you lead into the sighting. All was so peaceful, and then it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, who is out there?
    I love how you described the stars to her youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, but I'm sure he's not a local. lol Thanks for your kind words, Karen!

      Delete
  14. Sorry you’re going through these website errors, Teresa. Hopefully, google will get it’s act together soon. I love that your drama was drama-filled. I wanted to give your MC a hug. The ending intrigued me. Who did she see???

    Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yawatta! We'll figure it out.

      Yeah...who did she see?? We'll know in the next chapter. :-)

      Delete
  15. Something tells me it's not Sasquatch. Wonder who she just saw out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her future, methinks. Thanks for visiting, Kate! :-)

      Delete
  16. Ooo. I don't think it's a Sasquatch either.

    ReplyDelete