Welcome to my world and beyond...

A collection of snippets of the books I write and, occasionally, my life and the things that inspire my writing...

Sunday, July 3, 2022

Weekend Writing Warriors: Across The Night Sky 22

 

 

Welcome to a weekly post of Weekend Writing Warriors. If you'd like to check it out or give it a try, click here to go to wewriwa.blogspot.com

I'm working on edits for Emmily, Unbound--the book I've been sharing excerpts from for a long time. While I'm doing that, I'm going to share snippets from a WIP entitled Across the Night Sky. 

This is an Alien Abduction Romance.

Marissa, abducted human, 20-something, woke with no idea where she was. After running from the metal box she woke up inside, she finds an open doorway. She stepped through and discovered she wasn't alone. She's with an injured man, Kuylerh. There are predatory animals roaming the darkness. I've skipped ahead a bit.  This finishes the chapter. My last post ended with this:She brushed loose strands of onyx hair from his face while he gazed up at her. Hysteria threatened again at the sight of him… with that big, blue bow… like a gift just waiting to be given.

The snippet: 

Fathoming how long they’d been there was impossible. She dozed off and on, always waking with a start as the sense of her surroundings crept into her shallow sleep.

Kylerh came and went — trying to talk to her each time consciousness grabbed him; his words were almost like poetry, gentle and kind… never the drawn-up note to indicate questions. They all seemed to be statements, as if he were summing up things, getting something off his chest. He must be French, she thought, from the sound of his voice.

Funny how the mind meanders in the downtime of even the most bizarre situation. She changed her mind; he must be German, identifying himself as Kylerh Dae Medoch, the last syllable pronounced like he was clearing his throat. Definitely a German, with the most striking gold eyes she could ever have imagined.

Then again, why on God’s green Earth would she ever have imagined a cinnamon-skinned giant of a man with gold eyes? Oh, yeah, and add that he spoke some French dialect of German.

~*~

The really funny thing was, she wasn’t even on God’s green earth.


That's it for this week. Thanks for visiting. Comments are deeply appreciated. 

9 comments:

  1. You've painted a wonderful picture of him and with the added touch of the "combined" accent of his voice. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the small details that populate this scene, giving it extra emotion and richness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the snippet, although I think she's still a bit in shock, trying to 'make' him be French or German!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognize, and can identify with, that type of sleep. I imagine how confused she must be, trying to identify him. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't he look a little bit unhuman? Not really European?

    ReplyDelete
  6. With him, the more you know, the more you want to know. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waiting for her to figure out what he really is :)
    Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elaine Cantrell here. This excerpt captures my attention and I want to read more. I'm intrigued with the golden eyed man who probably isn't German.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He does sound like an intriguing specimen. I imagine it would be a bit impossible to take in the idea of being taken to another planet!

    ReplyDelete